Rhine-Neckar Metropolitan Region
A unique governance ensures coherent regional planning and regional development work in the Rhine-Neckar metropolitan region. The Rhine-Neckar Regional Association is the body responsible for regional planning and development that crosses state borders and is a democratically legitimised place for political decision-making. Zukunft Metropolregion Rhein-Neckar e.V. is a place of strategic dialogue between business, science, politics, administration and civil society. The Metropolregion Rhein-Neckar GmbH forges alliances, supports regional networks/initiatives and carries out projects under its own auspices.
The Rhine-Neckar Metropolitan Region pursues the goal of being “known and recognised as one of the most attractive and competitive regions in Europe” (Vision 2025). Based on the state treaty between Baden-Württemberg, Hesse and Rhineland-Palatinate of 26.7.2005, the responsible decision-makers have adopted several fields of action as the strategic framework for regional development in the coming years. Within this framework, the stakeholders act together and pool their resources and expertise in coordinated strategies, concepts and projects in order to strengthen and expand the MRN’s profile as a progressive, committed and liveable region.
- Sustainable and demand-oriented mobility (mobility pact)
- Regional energy transition (hydrogen model region)
- Rhine-Neckar Regional Park
- Modern, networked administration (KommunalCampus)
- Cooperative data infrastructures (Metropolitan Atlas, data portal)
- Innovation promotion/digitalisation (REK “Rhine-Neckar Connect Innovation”, application for a “European Digital Innovation Hub”, 5G model region, digital experience space)
- Education and lifelong learning (Regional Education and Skilled Workers Strategy)
- Sustainability in the region (OECD Programme on a Territorial Approach to the SDGs; Open Government Lab Rhine-Neckar, SDG Partnership Conference in autumn 2021, sustainability in administration/project “4Regions4Future”)
- Area: 5637 sq km
- Population: approx. 2.4 million p.e.
- Population density: 426 p.e./sq.km
- GDP: 102,48 billion EUR (2019)
- Employed persons: 1,291 million (2019)
- GDP / employed persons: 79,351 (2019)
- Unemployment rate: 5,4 % (2020)
- Students at universities: 86.025 (WS 2019/2020)